9/15/20 Cheyenne, WY

I figured it out today, even though it was 85 degrees the humidity was only 9% and that's why it felt so good out.  While riding a trolley and listening to stories of Cheyenne's history, I took lots of photos and had a great time learning about the Wild West.  As I am writing the blog, I am watching a movie called 8 Seconds, with Luke Perry playing a cowboy who was killed in the annual Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo here, know as the "Daddy."    Luke donated the funds to make this statue.


I started my tour of Wyoming's capital and largest city, with little preparation  Cheyenne.  I stumbled onto Holliday Park and my first cowboy boot at the Fine Arts Gallery, which was closed.  I later learned that these boots were painted by area artists and sold to local businesses as a fund raiser for the Depot Place.  I took pictures of each boot that I found, but I bet you get the idea, so I won't include them all.


I took advantage of the wings in the background for a selfie, to show off my ever-lengthening hair and wrinkling face.  

Knowing this is the state capital, I figured the shining dome must be the capital building.  I found out later that the dome is covered in a very fine layer of 24K gold.


A few blocks away is the state museum and I found some items that I thought were worthy of photos.  Just looking at the displays really made me think about what it must have been like to be a pioneer woman, crossing the prairie, building a sod home, birthing and raising children, etc.  When you look at mannequins wearing some of the clothing, it is amazing that many of these women were such tiny beings.













































Wearing a mask has been an interesting experience during this trip.  I see fewer masks the further west I get.  Almost every store, shop, museum has a sign requesting masks but the workers seem to take their cues from the customers.  Sometimes I forget to grab mine, especially when I am in a hurry to get to the restroom, but no one has said anything about it.  Camping has made it easy to keep social distancing and there is hand sanitizer every where.  

My next Cheyenne discovery was the Depot Plaza, very attractive setting for boots, sculptures, and to set off the old train depot which is now a brewery, restaurant, and museum of railroad memorabilia.  
































The Depot is where I found out about the trolley that would be leaving in 5 minutes, so I quickly bought a ticket to ride around the city, learning the history and some tall tales.  I haven't taken many tour of places that I visited because I thought they were for old people, well I now qualify and even got a senior discount.  

The lady leading the tour told us about Tom Horn, who had an interesting story and about the cattle barons who built some beautiful mansions.  There are tunnels under the city that run from the capital building to the train depot, for the politicians to escape after passing unpopular legislation. 







I had a great brunch at the brew pub in the Depot after the trolley tour, and set off for the Old West Museum.  The rodeo history, costumes, video were interesting but I found that I took many photos of wagons that are used in the annual parades.  Maybe because I live in Amish country where they still drive horse drawn buggies, I found these picturesque.




Stage Coach

Surry with Fringe on top

Can you imagine crossing the prairie with everything you own in this covered wagon?

Stage Coach

Water Wagon



9/16/20 - Grand Island, Nebraska

My computer was just whacky last night and I could not access my photos.  I am happy that is resolved and I could update you all on my travels.  I am starting to miss Buddy and my daughter, Shannon.  They are in Indianapolis, so I am headed east to pick him up before getting back to Woodburn, IN.

I did a lot of driving today to get back to this KOA, about 7 hours.  It was pretty cool to walk in and have the manager remember my name, since I was just here a few days ago.  She admitted remembering my car and camper, thinking no one else could have the same set-up.  

So just a snapshot of a strange building along US 30 and I am ready to download a new book to listen to tomorrow.



























Comments