10/14/20 - Cheyenne, WY


Ah, the rain has stopped and my plans have changed a bit.  My original intention was to travel the original 1913 route of the Lincoln Highway from Fort Wayne, IN to San Francisco, CA.  I had no idea that so much of this route is unpaved - miles and miles in Iowa look like this.


But there are no houses, or buildings for most of it.  Many acres of corn and soybeans seen but the roads are so bumpy that I averaged 20 miles per hour much of yesterday.  By the end of the afternoon, I realized that I needed to get on US 30 if I wanted to make it to Omaha.  



See my camper's bumper after traveling those roads in the rain?  But the rain has stopped and today was lovely.  

So my plan has changed to 2 nights here in Cheyenne and to return home on US 30 (the first paved coast to coast road), taking my time to see things that I may have missed while inspecting the gravel roads.

Some of the sights seen yesterday and today, somewhere in Nebraska and Wyoming.  

I discovered that Nebraska looks a lot like Indiana with hills.



Part of the challenge of following the Lincoln Highway, look at the telephone pole sign.




A sculpture to commemorate the bicentennial found in a rest stop on I-80,  


Dinner tonight at T-Joe's.  Very western decor.  


I updated my map in the camper with another new state that my camper has visited.  Now to explore Cheyenne tomorrow.  













Comments

  1. Interesting you went from New Mexico, the setting for Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop, thru Nebraska, where she spent her formative years. Before Nebraska was her birthplace in Virginia, and after was a move to Pittsburgh, where she wrote the short story Paul's Case among other things. So if your accidental Willa Cather journeys continue, that is where you may find yourself.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment