10/2/16 - New Haven, IN

OK, I have a good excuse for not keeping the blog up to date.  I did join Curves a week and 1/2 ago.
Having completed my 5 supervised workouts, I am free to arrive and work out tomorrow on my own.  It feels a bit like graduating.

I have several reasons that make me think I may be able to make this a part of my life:
1.  It's free - the Silver Sneakers benefit from my Medicare plan covers the entire cost.
2.  There are no men.  Without the uncomfortable feel that men bring to a gym, I find that I am more willing to arrive in the morning without makeup or the need to do much to get ready.  Jumping into my workout clothes, which look a lot like my sleeping clothes, brushing my teeth and taming my hair is all it takes to drive 3 minutes, workout for 45 minutes, and come home proud of myself.
3.  Although the music is awful, it is nice to have the audible reminders to change stations and keep my heartbeat up.  I have been sweating a lot!
4.  Monthly weigh ins give me a real sense of the results of change.  Although weight loss is not my major goal, it is an objective measure.  My main goal?  Staying mobile enough to keep traveling.

I have a trip planned to Grand Haven, MI this week.  My brothers, Tim and Steve, their wives Cris and Sue, my nephew Zac, and family friend Nancy will be spending 3 days there.  Tim and Cris were looking for a mini vacation with their dog, Audie.  Since they found a house with 5 bedrooms, they invited the dog owners and tolerators in the family.  I have not been to Grand Haven before but hope we see a sunset at least this pretty.  It is on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan where it meets the Grand River.  Grand Haven, MI

Sunset at Grand Haven
Of course I plan to play SCRABBLE with Tim, do a jigsaw puzzle with Sue, take walks with Bungie, and start our next book club read.

Springbok puzzle















I have been reading more as the weather has cooled.  Our book club choice for October's meeting, was a great read if you'd like to learn more about WWII, without reading a "war book."










My next book was a quick read.  I think that I heard an interview on NPR about this author and his books about Hap and Leonard.  As I read it, I kept thinking that this would make a good movie.  Well after finishing it this morning, I found that the Sundance Channel made a series of this and other books with these main characters.  I am not sure that I will make a great effort to find the series but they are interesting characters.








Next month's book club selection?  I think it is only fitting that I finally read "Walden," since it is my mother's maiden name.  I don't really know quite what to expect from it.  It's one of those books that we all need to read, right?










I have discovered a way to feed my need to see more current movies.  The local CarMike theater offers all movies for $5 on Tuesdays, with discounted popcorn and soda.  I saw "War Dogs" this week and thought about my daughter's career as a supply sergeant for the Army as I watched how we procure weapons for our country.








My next SCRABBLE tournament is South Lyons, MI on 10/29/16.  Since no one came up with a good costume idea, I found this.  I am just not sure the world is ready for me to wear it :-).





Comments