10/8/19 - Las Vegas, NM




Thanks to a blog follower, I was told about the Dwan Light Sanctuary on the grounds of the United World College https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armand_Hammer_United_World_College_of_the_American_West
What an interesting place, that I would never have found on my own.  The security of this place was pretty intimidating.  I had to surrender my driver's license in exchange for a key card to enter the sanctuary.  The path to the sanctuary is pictured above.

Inside the lovely reflections on the floor and walls are created by prisms on the windows.  A very quiet and restful place that did not reflect any organized religion.



The path back to the car allowed a great view of a bit of the surroundings.  I was unable to get a clear shot of the Montezuma Castle but you can see the impressive structure at the website.



Following such a peaceful beginning to the day, I thought that I would check out the Las Vegas and Rough Riders Museum.


Some of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders came from this area and the town was the site of gatherings  of former rough riders for years.  It is now the site of annual motorcycle gatherings in honor of the Rough Riders.  https://lasvegasmuseum.pastperfectonline.com  I think the most fascinating part of the museum was looking at clothing and shoes of these tiny pioneer women.  How did they create homes and families in such challenging conditions?

A visit to the National Wildlife Refuge rounded out my visit to Las Vegas.  As the only visitor, I could just gaze on this land returning to nature in this unique setting.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_National_Wildlife_Refuge



A nap this afternoon, prepared me for completing my laundry and camper hookup, so that I can get an early start tomorrow.  Santa Fe, here I come!




Comments