10/6/19 - Las Vegas, NM

I made it to The Land of Enchantment.  Isn't that a pretty name?  it sure sounds better than the Hoosier State.

The morning started in Geary, OK.  This KOA Campground is next to the Cherokee Trading Post, which is well advertised for miles on billboards.  I ate dinner at their restaurant last night, but avoided the souvenier shop.  I am saving my $ for Santa Fe.  As I drove into the campground, I saw this buffalo playing with his companion.  I had never seen two buffalo romping before, but they were having a great time.  This morning he was intent on eating grass.  It is amazing that a creature can grow so big eating grass.  His nose is bigger than my outstretched hand.


These photos were snapped on my way out of town


Today's breakfast was much more satisfying than yesterday's.  I stopped at McDonald's and was so pleased with watching the teamwork, that I asked for the manager so I could compliment her leadership.  In her humble Oklahoman way, she said "It is a good day." So, I highly recommend the Elk City, OK McDonald's.

I passed the Cadillac Ranch today.  https://www.wideopencountry.com/cadillac-ranch/

Most of this trip has been running parallel to Route 66 on I-44 and I-40.  It's been fun to remember stopping frequently and exploring more along the way, when I made that trip two years ago.  This time, I have been reflecting even more on what it must have been like for people to travel the original Route 66 and even before that.  I have been thinking about The Grapes of Wrath a lot.   I drove along the Santa Fe trail some this evening.

The sky finally cleared as I was driving in Texas and I couldn't resist capturing this shiny truck's reflection of the clouds and my vehicle.  


New Mexico finally!  I love watching the landscape change, but this view took my breath away as I reached to top of the hill.  I am approaching the Sangre de Cristo Mountains off in the distance.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangre_de_Cristo_Mountains


My home for the next 3 nights is the KOA in Las Vegas, New Mexico.  A very historic city that was the first capital of New Mexico.  After dinner at the Hillcrest Restaurant, I drove back on the Santa Fe Trail as the sun went down.  I want to explore some around here and do some work online tomorrow

And lastly, I have been getting requests to see the inside of my camper.  It was dark when I got back, so this isn't the best picture, but should be enough to show that this is really a queen sized bed on wheels.  I have the TV, AC, and stereo.  The kitchen is under the door in back but I don't cook, so the fridge stores my diet pop and medication.  Bathroom is a portable in a popup tent, I'll take a photo tomorrow.  


The only bad part about traveling alone, is not having anyone to share with.  Thanks for traveling with me!



Comments