10/5/19 - Geary, OK

For those who have not seen my camper and TV (tow vehicle), I took this picture this morning somewhere in Missouri.  It was in the Ozarks, but that's all I can tell you.  


I have never been so glad to be reminded that I am no longer a supervisor of anyone other than me.  This photo was taken at the worst run Burger King that I have ever experienced.  I enjoyed the decor as I sat down but it was all downhill after that.

 I was the last person to be served during the 1/2 hr visit, because the computer went down.  The manager's skills were tapped out when she calculated my change.  She told all arriving customers that they could not take orders, and was surprised to discover that all of her staff went outside to smoke while she was on the phone with IT.

No one hung a sign to warn people that they were not taking orders, so I saw a number of people very disappointed not to get breakfast.  It did amaze me that none of them seemed to realize the truck stop in the attached building could provide coffee and food items.

One lady's distress over not getting coffee was so apparent, the manager put IT on hold to determine if she was going east or west on I-44, so she could tell her where to find the next Burger King.  It was all I could do to keep eating my breakfast sandwich and not jumping behind the counter and taking over.

Eager to get back on the road and avoid further chaos, I was happy to get back to my audiobook, South of Broad by Pat Conroy, in the comfort of my own car.  I did drive by Fort Leonard Wood today.  That was an interesting trip down memory lane, I drove there to witness Shannon's graduation from Basic Training about 27 years ago, and now she is retiring.



These clear and sunny skies lasted pretty much all day.  I was on the edge of a storm that would overtake me periodically but it was a good day to drive and I am 900 miles from home.  Did you start singing Peter, Paul and Mary like me?



I did decide that the 500 miles that I drove today, was a bit much for a 68 year old lady.  So tomorrow's plan is better.  Only 452 miles.  But I will be in Las Vegas, NM for 3 nights.  It was the closest I could get to Santa Fe until 10/9/19.  

So, I did meet some nice people today.  I blew my hair dry with a lady who was on her first RV trip.  She was pretty impressed that I was traveling alone, she even called me brave.  I guess that she might be right.  I haven't seen any other single people at the campgrounds but staying in KOA's feels pretty safe to me.  I also met the couple parked next to me last night.  They were curious about my camper, so I gave them the tour.  They have been traveling/camping for years, with many different TV's and have a Class C now.  They travel with a dog and several cats, and are on their way to visit a son who recently retired from a career as Active Duty for the Army Reserve, like Shannon.  As the lady said, there aren't many people who know what that is.  

Setting up in the dark tonight was not much fun, so I am going to get some rest.  Tomorrow is another adventure!

Comments