10/11/19 - Sante Fe

Well I did it my way.  It got very cold here last night, in the 20's, and my little portable heater died.  It was SO cold that I got up at 3 am to sit in the car with the heat on.  As I sat there shivering, I realized that I could drive to Albuquerque to watch the hot air balloons' Dawn Patrol.  

I got there about 4 am and the closest parking lot was being filled already.  I just followed the traffic and got a great spot.  As I watched many people getting bundled up and carrying chairs and blankets to the balloon field, I realized that I was less than optimally prepared.  Without gloves, coat, blanket, or chair I decided to stay in the car until about 5:30 am.  Earlier in the week, I had discussed the Balloon Fest schedule and routine with my campground neighbors, so I knew nothing was happening until 6 am.  That's when the Dawn Patrol ascends to give the other balloons an idea of wind conditions for their take off at 7 am.  My bladder was full and I was getting hungry so I thought that I should check out the facilities.


What were all these people doing, sitting in the dark, waiting for 6 am? At least these tents were doing a brisk business and I found a breakfast burrito and diet coke.  But I refused to pay $75 for a fleece poncho.  

A family shared their picnic table with me and I thought I had this thing in the bag.  







Well,  I didn't even make it until the Dawn Patrol got off the ground.  I was absolutely frozen, and returned to my car in that great spot in the parking lot.  With the heater and the classical station on, I got out a few times to get these photos.






Now, I am no dummy.  I got the experience of seeing the Dawn Patrol and the first balloons taking off, in relative comfort without the crowds.  I am sure that there were 10's of thousands on that field and only a few of us in the parking lot.  I recognized that my little iPhone (not even an 11) could not begin to take photos like those seen everywhere of this event, so I left.  No traffic to speak of and a smooth return to the campground by 8 am.  As I said, I did it my way...

I passed many people just arriving who had to park so far away, that I am sure they ended up walking miles before arriving to watch a sky full of balloons that they could have seen at home, but who am I to judge?

For those who want to see some great pictures and to find out more about the Festival, here you go.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuquerque_International_Balloon_Fiesta

After a short rest, shivering once again.  I gave up, showered, and went to Walmart to buy a new portable heater.  It's working great and I replaced the surge protecter also.  So now I am working on my laptop in comfort and think that I am glad to live in the age of electricity!


Since I don't cook and I have pretty much run through my supply of protein bars, fruit and candy, I decided to treat myself to lunch at a nearby restaurant.  I let my phone choose the nearest non-chain and stumbled onto the best meal that I have had in ages!  The Ranch House has wonderful BBQ pork and several sauces to choose from.  I thought the mild sauce was perfect and forgot to ask if they sell it because I got distracted by my free desert.  The waitress, Julie, said that she could tell this was my first visit and that they offer free desert to first time customers.  Luckily, I had chosen the smaller lunch version of my entree, so I had room for 1/2 of the Apple Crisp, warm with ice cream.  I highly recommend this place and Julie!  https://www.theranchhousesantafe.com

One reason Julie could tell that I was a first time visitor from another place was the fact that I was sitting at the table going through my road atlas and taking notes.  I was determining when and how I wanted to start for home.  I have checked off much of my wishlist, so I drove through the historic district of Santa Fe one more time.  I dreamed about finding this place when I was younger and life here was more affordable.  

Daydreaming about reality, I checked and the rents for a studio/1 bedroom apartment are about 2 - 3 times what I am paying now to live in Woodburn, IN.  

So, Woodburn and winter, here I come.


Comments