10/3/17 - Hooper, CO day 3

Route 66, etc. - Day 15

Another beautiful day in the San Luis Valley.  As you can see from this photo there has been some snow up in the highest peaks and this view was too pretty to just drive by, so we stopped on the way to Salida.  The wind was really blowing up in this pass near Villa Grove, but wasn't bad at all in the valley today.


If you have never visited Salida, I would recommend being sure to go to the old town along the Arkansas River. We parked at the Riverside Park and River Walk, where they do not welcome dogs.   



We lunched at the Boathouse, where I was able to capture some pictures of my brother, Bob, and the river.  Nice view and great food.  




Walking around and looking for quirky sights was the perfect after-lunch activity and this is what we found.  This young man was body surfing in the river, he was trying to stand on his board when I grabbed this photo.


The river is a popular kayaking destination, and you can see some gates and white water here.  I loved the mountain in the background.


If you look closely at this bar's mural, you will see the guys are kayaking on beer cans.  


Bungie and Bob are bonding and viewing an enormous crystal in a store full of crystals.


Now Bungie is only 11 pounds but he pretty much filled this new fangled kayak.  I don't know how an adult could fit in it.  


This art display gives you a better idea of the size of normal kayaks.


The benches made of skis were impossible to just walk by.  This looks like a fun town to explore.  


I didn't think that anyone needed a picture of another Safe-Way, but we did stop there to get cat and dog food.  And then we headed up to an even higher elevation to see a ski resort.  As I told Bob, I am a ski virgin, I have never seen a ski resort, let alone tried to snow ski.  I don't imagine that it's something that I will be trying in this life.  But he did take me to see Monarch Resort and there was even some snow melting in the parking lot.



As we drove down the mountain, we made a side trip to drive through this aspen grove.


You must have figured out today's theme song by now.



After we parted ways, I decided to finally sample the hot springs swimming here at the campground.  I rented a bathing suit for the next few days (I know, my daughter is appalled) and went to try something new this evening.  What a pleasant and relaxing experience.  



Since I need to make some money and Bob wants to get in one more fishing trip this season, I will be on my own tomorrow.  He promised me a fish fry, campfire and music with his "Colorado family" on Thursday evening.  Then I plan to hit the road again Friday to visit Karen and Paul in Eureka, CA.  I have included this link in case you want to read ahead.  

I am very lucky to have family and friends in such cool places.

So I wrapped up the evening by capturing pictures of my camper and tent set-up and the sun setting.















Comments