10/2/17 - Hooper, CO

Route 66, etc. - Day 14

What a windy night we had here in the San Luis Valley of Colorado.  I have put up my side tent for the T@G and it whipped about but is still standing.  During the night Bungie got nervous hearing the coyotes howling.  But it is a lot quieter here than the campgrounds that we have been visiting.  I will have to take a picture of the RV area here.

I did take lots of pictures today as Bob showed me around.  We started in the area described in this article.  The video that is embedded in the article really gives you an idea of what an unusual place this is.
Crestone

We started by visiting this stupa.  I have learned that stupas are Buddhist structures for meditation.  Unfortunately, I also learned that I have now been "stupa-ed."  (Say it out loud)





It is hard to describe the beauty of this travel up a steep gravel road past numerous signs of other spiritual centers for many of varied beliefs.  We were climbing to the Shumei International Institute which is home to an art gallery where my brother is exhibiting some of his sculptures and jewelry.  I am feeling very lucky to be here at the time of this show.












My talented brother was also featured in the October issue of "The Crestone Eagle."  He has already sold the 2nd piece, so let me know if you are interested and I will help you get in touch.


On the way to his home, Bob was able to help me see this elk herd.  His theory was they didn't like the wind either, that's why they didn't stand up to say hello to us.  This also gives you an idea of the road to his place, back down in the valley but right next to the mountains.



His home is a hand built, energy efficient house off the grid and this shed is a charming welcome to the property.  Bob is also a musician and he played the mandolin for me while we visited but I can't seem to upload the video that I made.  His cat tolerated Bungie, who was happy to be in a house instead of a structure on wheels for a bit.


On our way to lunch in Saguache, we explored some of the other unique structures that people have built in this area.  This one caught my eye as one of the most unique.  Wouldn't you love to know the story?  The town of Saguache is charming and we had lunch at the 4th Street Diner and Bakery.  


And this is a cemetery that we explored.


We went to Moffat, the next town over from Crestone so that I could see the place where my brother worked for 9 years.  It is a pleasant coffee shop/gallery.

On a day like this, I was struck by the changing views of the mountains.  The sunlight will highlight an area that I didn't notice or the shadows of the clouds will move to make the view even more dramatic.  If I remember my lesson from Bob, the first picture in the Kit Carson peak but I have forgotten the name of the second one already.


                                      

The yellow is the changing quaking aspen trees.  It felt like they were changing so quickly that we could watch it happen.




I sure did pick a good time of year for this trip.  These last 3 photos were taken in the National Forest Park at Crestone.  I wanted to see their campsites and I saw another teardrop camper for the first time on this trip.  I was beginning to feel like I have the only one.  It was a T@B, still waiting to see another T@G.  The campsites are small, without hookups, but located right next to a stream and the mountains.  Very pretty.

Tomorrow promises to be another great day!







Comments