10/1/17 - Hooper, CO

Route 66, etc. - day 13

Wow, what a cool day!

As I was leaving the campground near Santa Fe, I was eager to get to Colorado so I thought I would save seeing the city for another visit.  I set the GPS for Sand Dunes Pool Recreation area and took off.  But before long, I saw a sign for a Santa Fe Auto Tour and thought I could just follow those signs, see a bit of the city and jump back on the highway.

Well, I never saw another one of those signs but I remembered someone commenting on yesterday's blog entry about seeing the plaza in Santa Fe, so I set the GPS to find that.  Such a great area and a real challenge to drive down very narrow and crowded streets pulling a camper.  It seems that Sunday morning is a very popular time to visit the plaza and all that goes with it.  I will definitely go back to explore the city correctly another time, but without a camper and without a dog.  Driving was too challenging to take pictures, but I found these online to give you a flavor of the area.




Heading north along the highway, I was repeatedly enchanted by the beauty of the scenery.  I guess that's why they call in the Land of Enchantment.  Watching the changes in plants, communities and lack of them, as you enter the valley here was fascinating.  So much so, that I didn't want to stop to take pictures, but keep going to see what was down the road.

I would recommend getting gas and toileting before heading north on this route.  I finally stopped in Alamosa and was charmed by this little town.  After arriving here at the Dune's Pool, I took these photos of my front yard view and back yard view.  The San Luis Valley is a beautiful part of our country.



As you can see the rain has stopped here but the wind is blowing more than usual according to my brother, Bob.  


Bob has lived in this part of the state for 12 years and I have never visited him before, so it was great to begin to see his life in person.  We started with a trip to a local brew pub back in Alamosa for dinner.  This is the old vault from the days when this building was a bank.  Isn't it pretty?



Knowing that you are probably wondering about today's soundtrack.  I had to honor my brother with "A Love Song for Bobby Long" which is his name but written about a different Bobby Long.  


I plan to stay here till 10/6 and I would imagine each day will hold new sights and adventures.  You are welcome to follow along.  I found this earlier, so I will be sure to look for some of these sights.








Comments