9/30/17 - Santa Fe, NM

Route 66, etc. - Day 12

What a great adventure this has been.  The sun came out, it's in the mid 60's, I can smell the desert through open windows in the camper.  I am a happy camper this afternoon.

As we took off this morning, the rain was still falling but both me and Bungie were so happy to be back on the road.  For some reason, I was thinking of this song.


When I adopted Bungie 7 years ago, I wanted to change his name, but could not come up with a good idea.  This morning I realized that I should have named him Bobby McGee.  Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose...

But the windshield wipers stopped slapping time mid morning and seeing the sun shine over the desert made me smile.  I lived in Phoenix and Sun City, AZ for 3 years (2011-2014) and miss the smell, the sky, the mountains, and the wide open spaces.  In fact, I adopted Bungie when I lived in Phoenix.  If anyone is thinking of rescuing a papillon, I highly recommend PapHaven.

We didn't do much site seeing today, but did make several stops along with way.  As I pulled into Santa Rosa, I was a bit worried that it was another forgotten city along Route 66.  I did find the Chinese Restaurant, but it's closed.


I was not sure what I was looking for when I started following signs in Santa Rosa, NM.  What a great surprise to see bunches of wet-suited guys, and a few gals, around and in the clearest water I have ever seen.



If I was 30 years younger, I would love to see what it looked like under the water.  There is a dive shop on site and it appeared that there was a class going on when I arrived.  To learn more, click on
The Blue Hole.

Further down the road, I had to stop at an enormous gift shop/gas station/Dairy Queen near Moriarty, NM.  I found the flowers and clouds calling for a photo.


The road to Santa Fe, was pretty isolated and pretty.


The KOA here is great.  I was able to get set up and do laundry before the rain started again.  The sun is gone now and I am planning to watch TV as I listen to the thunder rumbling.  

Look as this guy who kept me up most of last night, barking at every little noise in the hotel.


Me and Bobby McGee...


Comments