9/28/17 - Tucumcari, NM

Route 66 - Day 10

This should be the soundtrack for my trip until the weekend.  Remember Jose?


We left the Amarillo KOA pretty early today, before the rain started pouring, but it certainly limited my sightseeing today.  I had a request to get a picture of a huge cross east of Amarillo, but couldn't find it for the fog.  It felt like driving in a cloud much of the day.


Seeing the Cadillac Ranch was on my must see list for Amarillo but I was not about to walk through this field in the rain at 55 degrees to see the cars up close.  But if you enlarge the photo, you can see them better, but check out that little bird on the left, he was posing nicely.


In an effort to hit the road early today, I thought I would grab breakfast and fill the tank on the road.  Well, I didn't quite understand driving in Texas yet.  Now I know that wasn't the best plan.  When I finally found a gas station, there were no restrooms.  And breakfast came from a vending machine at the New Mexico welcome center on I-40.  I couldn't help but appreciate the size difference between my rig and the one next to me.  


When I came out Bungie was barking his head off at a couple who were peeking in the camper windows.  They were eager to learn about teardrop camping and share adventures, but then the rain started again.


This brass casting of a dinosaur hip bone has the teeth marks of a bigger or meaner dinosaur visible on the bone.  I wanted to see the Dinosaur Museum at Tucumcari and may do that tomorrow.  

So according to a young lady at the store here in Tucumcari, it never rains like this.  This confirms my suspicions, the lousy weather is following me across the country.  According to the weather channel, it should stop raining here and along my route on Saturday.  So, I have decided to take a break and get some work done.  I am staying at a LaQuinta until Saturday.  The camper is parked in the lot but I am dry, warm and quite comfortable.  

I supplement my retirement income by doing chart audits for Heartland Home Health Care and Hospice in Fort Wayne, IN.  Those dollars help finance trips like this, so I need to get some hours in.  But I could not check in when I arrived in Tucumcari, I didn't take the change to Mountain Time into account, so I drove around sight seeing.  These sights were photo worthy.









There were many fun things to see that were in places that I couldn't stop to photograph, one of my favorites was a hand painted sign that said "Bates Hotel Taxidermy, a shower in every room."

Happy trails.







Comments