9/27/17 - Amarillo, TX

Route 66 - Day 9

Another rough start to the day.  I stayed at the LaQuinta last night to get out of the rain and just rest in a room that has a bathroom.   Eager to get my stuff and Bungie in, I forgot to unplug the camper from the car.  Therefore, when I went out, I found a very dead battery and had to call AAA.  This is the first time that I have used them and I was very glad they were at the other end of the phone.  The most impressive thing to me, was each person I spoke to asked if I was in a safe place.  I really appreciated that, and that I was in a safe place.

I have spent many years taking care of myself and consider myself pretty self sufficient, but needing the help of others two mornings in a row, has humbled me.  It's okay to ask for and accept help.

It was good to get back on the road, but I saw these sites before even getting back on the highway.  You can really appreciate the size of this statue of a Native American when you see it next to the bus.



Clinton, OK is also home to this Route 66 Museum.





Another Route 66 Museum was found in Elk City.  This recreated row of businesses was set up for a great photo op.


I don't know if you can appreciate the size of this sign but take my word for it - it's big!


I stopped in Erick to see the windmill display but this colorful barn caught my attention also.



I don't know how many people remember Roger Miller, but he must have a connection with Erick also.  Maybe this will jog your memory.



Texola at the border of Oklahoma and Texas has a cafe/souvenir shop and many abandoned structures.  I finally found what I was looking for - the old jail.  I guess they only had one criminal at a time.  The other picture was just another one of those interesting finds, making me wish I knew the whole story.





Finally made it to Texas!  Shamrock plays up both the Route 66 and Shamrock theme.





Now, I had to go into this place, and it was totally worth it.  How often do you find a Barbed Wire Museum?  





And this sweet Texan lady told me about Gremlin bells when I bought one as a keychain.  Want to learn more about them, check this out.  Gremlin Bells


McLean celebrates it's Route 66 connection.



Jericho's Cemetery sign was all I could find to photograph in Pampa.  


When I decided to try to find a campsite for tonight, I found the KOA in Amarillo as the best bet for laundry, WiFi, and cable TV.  I did not expect to be welcomed by a mariachi band.  All the comforts of home and no rain so far!







Comments

  1. I am enjoying your posts. John and most of his Cushman riding buddies have some sort of gremlin bell on their scooters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment