3/7/17 - Tifton, GA

The Fort Myers/Pine Island KOA was the nicest campground that I have stayed in.  There are many RV's parked there full time and for the winter season.  But they do have sites for short term guests and I thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful view.  As always, lots of curiosity about the T@G teardrop camper and friendly people.
















We played 8 games of SCRABBle on Saturday and again on Sunday.  That's a lot of Scrabble.  I was the lowest ranked player and once again I ended up in last place.  But I did win a prize this weekend for the biggest upset.  I continue to play best against the highest ranking players and those are the few games that I won.  This is Naima's joy at beating me in a very close game.  It was a great tournament and I got to meet new people.  I will definitely return to Fort Myers.


I met a celebrity at the tournament.  Melanie writes an column for the Fort Myer News Press called "Tell Mel."  She also writes free lance and wants to do a story on me and my retirement adventures for the AARP magazine.  We will see if she can share my story with others.  

Facebook has been a great way to stay in touch and reconnect with colleagues and friends.  I have been lucky enough to live and work all over the country.  A message from Georgia was a great surprise on Saturday.  I knew she had retired to Florida but didn't know it was to Fort Myers.  She had just returned from a cruise and reached out to me when she realized that I was in town.  We met at Cactus Jack's for dinner on Sunday evening after I was Scrabbled out.  How cool to eat outside in March and catch up with her, Rich and Jennifer.  We remembered when we first met, 29 years ago!  Stupidly, I forgot to take any pictures of us, but it was a cute place and I would recommend it.













On Monday morning I made lots of phone calls to get the connector plug on the camper replaced.  As you can imagine, there are lots of RV service places in Fort Myers.  All but one of the places I called were rude and it felt like they were mocking me for trying to get an appointment this week.  Then I called the RV Doctor.  It turned out that the lady who treated me so kindly is from Anderson, IN and they did a great job getting me on the road Tuesday morning.
Once I had that appointment and made arrangements to continue my stay on Pine Island, I decided to explore more of the island.  I found this little beach and didn't even have to share it for about 1/2 hour.  I got to wade but the water was pretty cold.  It is so pretty here. 

When some bike riders showed up, I decided to continue exploring by looking for a geocache.  I haven't done that since visiting Shannon in MA.  It was quite a surprise to find one within a 1/2 mile of my little beach.  Do you see it?  I traded a Scrabble tile for a little trinket.

Then I got to meet up with Sheilagh and her sister, Linda.  The last time I saw her was the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, where she used to live.  I used to work for Sheilagh at Beverly Enterprises.  It was easy to connect again and I loved getting to share lunch with them at the Outback.  I will definitely have to schedule a longer stay when I come back to Fort Myers.  Again, I didn't think to take photos.  I have to get better at documenting my adventures.  

So, after getting the camper connector plug replaced, I jumped onto I-75 to head north.  As you can imagine, I checked that plug each time I stopped today.  I don't think I will ever forget to check it again!  Lots of questions and comments about the camper again today.  It's fun to show if off, but I need to remember to make the bed before I hit the road.  I am spending the night in Tifton, GA. The weather is getting cooler and I am not sure I really want to go back to Indiana.


Comments