3/4/17 - Pine Island, FL

What a great trip this has been.  I just had to get away from the gray skies of Fort Rain and a SCRABBLE tournament in Fort Myers was the perfect choice.



Last Tuesday, I visited Rolling Meadows to drop Bungie off at my daughter, Shannon's.  His 6th anniversary with me is today, so I have to share a picture from that day in Phoenix, AZ.  He has been a wonderful roommate and I am sure he would have enjoyed this trip but I would have had to board him while I played Scrabble.  I think he is happier with Shannon and Buca.


Heading south on I-65 on 3/1/17 was a good feeling and the trip to Horse Cave, KY was rainy, but uneventful.  I listened to our book club selection and it made the trip go quicker.  We will meet this Saturday to discuss it.


I cannot believe that I used to travel the country for various jobs without a cell phone, GPS, or map at times.  Traveling is much easier and safer with my iPhone, but it did go wacky as I drove through Nashville on Thursday.  It kept calling an unrecognized phone number and I have no idea why.  But each time it dialed that would cut out my GPS, making it difficult to navigate the traffic on I-65 and the transition to I-24.  I still have no idea what happened but luckily I remembered driving there from back in the day when I lived in Buchanan, TN.  For those who don't know, it is pronounced Buck-cannon by the natives.  I lived there for 3 months back in the summer of '95.  It was very hot and close to 100 degrees each day that I lived there.



There must be a better way to plan travel times.  I hit Louisville at 5p rush hour and repeated that in Atlanta.  Part of the reason for moving away from Alpharetta, GA in 2000 was the traffic.  Well I got to experience it once again.   Alpharetta, Georgia















Stopping for gas south of Atlanta, I was eager to empty my bladder.  Sometime during that stop the credit card number for my favorite card was stolen.  Luckily, Chase bank recognized unusual activity and notified me quickly, when there was only a $1000 or so purchased.  The account has been closed and I am glad that I have money in the credit union for my debit card.  I am hopeful that I won't be responsible for the items purchased but think it is a real shame that somebody think it's okay to steal like that.  How many seniors have that happen every day?  Each person that I shared the story with down here was not surprised, "it happens all the time."   credit card skimmers

Tipton, GA was the location of my second campsite on the way down.  It's funny, I don't remember much about it except that I didn't have to sleep in my jacket that night.  Did you know that I don't have heat in my little camper?  I may want to get a little electric heater or bring my electric blanket next time that I travel in March.

Crossing the Florida line was wonderful on Friday.  And the weather seemed to get warmer each mile.  Speaking of miles, my Subaru Crosstrek is getting 55 miles/gallon pulling the camper according to the readout.  I have been getting 30 back home in town, so maybe it's correct.  I do like the car and driving an automatic transmission is a lot easier!



Continuing in the tradition of rush hour traffic was not my goal, but it turns out that you have to go through the quaint little town of Matlacha to get to Pine Island.  And guess what time I arrived?  4:30 and that's dinner time here among the retirees.  Cute place, full of shops and houses that look like this, that I would love to check out some day.














The KOA on Pine Island is very large and very full this time of year.  I arrived on a Friday evening, and was pleased to set up my camper and tent for the portable potty.  I was horrified to find the plug for the camper was dragging on the ground and from the looks of it, had been dragging for quite a while.  That means there were no brake lights or turn signals for a long time.  Lucky that no one rear ended me...





















Well, that's enough for today.  Look for the rest of the story tomorrow.  Happy trails!

Comments