8/16/16 - New Haven, IN

The Rio Olympics 2016 has captured my attention like no Olympics before.  Being off during the day allows for watching events that I have never seen before in my life.  Synchronized diving turned out to be a big hit for me.

Watching the freestyle dressage competition was pretty cool also, horses dancing to music.
Freestyle Dressage

I think part of the fun this year is watching with Google right at hand to answer my questions.  Like, "when did they change how they score volleyball?"  1999 is the correct answer.  I am not a sports fan, as a rule, so I am not too sure why I get into the Olympics but have been a fan for years.  The closest that I ever came to attending was the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.  I was planning to attend with friends meeting up at Sheilagh Young's home on July 27th.  For those who don't remember this prevented my attending any events that day.  A great disappointment in so many ways.
Olympic Park bombing

Last Friday evening, I met my sisters Stephanie and Michelle, 2 of my nieces Megan and Kaiti, 1 nephew Carter, and a brother-in-law Chris at Bar 145.  If you have not tried it, they have custom made burgers, including meatless, BOGO and 1/2 price appetizers before 6 pm.  I have definitely become that old lady in line for early cheap dinners.  Good food and company.  Carter moved to IU in Bloomington on Monday for his freshman year.

Saturday was Book Club.  Unfortunately I thought that picking a book from the Time magazine 100 All Time Novels list would ensure a good read.  I think that I will rely on other sources for my next choice.




















This was not an easy read and I don't know that I would recommend it for anyone else.  But I do love our Book Club.  2 of my brothers, Tim and Steve, a sister-in-law, Cris and her friend, Nancy and niece April meet monthly to discuss a book that we have read.  We take turns choosing the book and have discovered that we are reading things we would never choose on our own and it's fun to read the same book at the same time.  We are always looking for new members if you know anyone who may be interested.

When not watching the Olympics, I have been doing some work from home for Heartland.  Working 2-3 hours/day in my jammies, with Bungie at my feet is a pretty easy gig.  Making some more travel money is nice also.  I have received my first Social Security check and 1st monthly distribution from my IRA.  Getting paid not to work is a trip.  I haven't had to use my Medicare yet but look forward to that experience next week - mammogram time!

This afternoon I went to the Cinema Center to watch a strange little movie.  Well liked by the critics and me too, but I am really looking forward to "Nuts" which opens this Friday.




















Comments