8/12/16 - New Haven, IN

You know, I started this blog as a way to record my retirement adventures and to share with others.  Like most journals that I have started in my life, this one is in danger of withering away.  But I can't sleep and I figured it's time to capture some more of my adventure since my last entry.

I was lucky enough to see James Taylor perform again.  He visited the War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne on 7/26/15 and my sister-in-law, Susie, got us terrific tickets.


I was a bit worried as the show started because he and the band sounded awful.  I was afraid that James had toured too long and he should have retired also.  But much to my relief, the settings were adjusted and they sounded great.  He was the most animated that I have ever seen him during a live performance and seeing this show was the best retirement/birthday gift ever!

Then my focus turned to SCRABBLE.  The intense studying/playing online did nothing to improve my game.  But I did meet my goal of not finishing in last place, barely.  It is an amazing experience to sit in a room playing my favorite game with over 400 other very competitive players.

My brother, Tim, did very well for his first National Tournament and I had a great time taking it all in.  Meeting new people, absorbing the atmosphere, and studying the coordination of the whole event were my main focus.  Getting beat by a 13 year old boy from Connecticut and an 89 year old woman from the Philippines were some of the highlights of the week.  I am sure that my destiny includes finishing my certification as a SCRABBLE Director and organizing tournaments and club play, rather than being a high ranking competitor.


Laughing with Tim



The Indiana players


Playing 7 games of SCRABBLE a day for 4.5 days was quite an experience.  I also volunteered to assist with set up and registration on 8/4 and 8/5/16.  So, I think it is safe to say that I am a bit scrabbled-out.  (I don't think that word is in the lexicon).  But let me tell you, I got lots of steps recorded with my FitBit!  I did find a new location for our local group to try - Coliseum Donuts at Lake and Coliseum will be the site of our meeting on 8/20/16.

Yesterday, I began my PRN employment with Heartland HomeCare and Hospice.  I will be working from home in my jammies (one of my life goals) to help them out and make a bit of extra money to continue my travels.  Next stop?  The Labor Day SCRABBLE tournament in Alpharetta, GA.  I have been lucky enough to live and work all over the country and have been able to maintain many of those relationships through Facebook, so I will be visiting with my friend, Becky Bos that week.

Comments